My name is Gary Hunt, a member of St. Timothy’s Danville CA Episcopal Church and termed-out member of the Diocese of California Executive Council where I was the Convener for its Church Vitality Team from 2011-2013.
The first stage of this growth initiative was an intensive 120-day action planning process on church vitality:
During this process the team made recommendations to the Bishop and Executive Council on strategy recommendations and actions planned to enhance church vitality so it can focus on doing God’s work across the Diocese.
This was a deliberate and prayerful Congregations Up! Strategy that is designed to transform the work programs, operations and organization of the Diocese to focus squarely on the following goals:
- Empower and support congregational growth across the Diocese of California
- Set clear and measurable goals for ASA, membership and revenue growth for each parish
- Raise up and train new generations of lay leaders and clergy to live into this growth challenge
- Expand the participation of the members today and those who love God and seek Christ in their lives to do the mission and ministry work of the church across the diocese and beyond.
- Celebrate, invite, welcome, incorporate and involve people across the rich multicultural, ethnic and lifestyle experiences that make up the Diocese of California into an inclusive, open, loving community of faith.
- Plan for the Diocesan future by developing mission and ministry programs that speak to the needs of people and live into the social justice, life affirming, loving values of the Episcopal Church.
- Episcopal Realities: Getting Back to Growth (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Census 2010 clues for Growing the Church (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Introducing our new Church Growth Program (churchgrowthprogram.com)
- CHURCH2GO: Connecting the Body of Christ in an Episcopal Social Network (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Turning Our Stewardship Fears into Easter’s Sunrise (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Writing About Church Growth & Decline (diocalparishgrowth.com)
- TEC Episcopal Selection Process in Washington Diocese (kiwianglo.wordpress.com)
Church Vitality Progress Report:
August 28, 2011
The Church Vitality Team.
- The Rev Christopher Martin, Rector, St. Paul’s San Rafael
- Gabriela Strand Bruce, Grace Cathedral
- Richard Patenaude, Holy Cross, Castro Valley
- Gary Hunt, St. Timothy’s Danville
- Julia McCray Goldsmith, Diocese of California
- The Rev Kathy Trapani, Interim Rector, St. Timothy’s
- The Rev Debra Low-Skinner, Interim Rector, St Bartholomew’s Livermore
- The Rev Aris Rivera, Vicar, St. Alban’s Brentwood
- The Rev Canon Michael Barlowe, Diocese of California
- J Dave Gerhard, Holy Innocent’s San Francisco
- Steve Mason, Vestry Member, St. Timothy’s Danville
- The Rev John Trubina, Deacon, St. Clare’s Pleasanton
- Kathleen Piriano, Executive Director, Episcopal Charities
- Earl Clinton Williams, Sr Warden, St James Oakland
- The Rev Ron Culmer, Rector, St. Clare’s Pleasanton
- Ken Letsch, Christ Church, Alameda
- Jenny Moss, Christ Church, Alameda
Church Vitality Workshops
Saturday September 13, 2011, 7pm
Bishop Marc’s Church Vitality Conference Call
Clergy and Lay Leadership Welcome to Participate
Saturday September 17, 2011, 9am to 2pm
St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 1123 Court Street, San Rafael, CA 94901
- Spiritual Foundation for Church Growth: The Restoration Project
- frame issues of attendance and membership growth and dive into the data available;
- identify key factors affecting decline and growth.
Deanery Meetings Town Halls: Every Deanery will be having meetings this Fall. Deanery members should hear about the church growth program at the same deanery meeting as Diocesan Budget 2012 presentations.
Saturday October 15, 2011, 9am-2pm
St. Clare’s Episcopal Church, 3350 Hopyard Rd, Pleasanton, CA 94588
- Roundtable Discussion: Growth and Collaboration Opportunities in Tri-Valley/Dougherty Valley
- Growing Ideas: Gathering congregation case studies and examples of program ideas that work.
- Discussing a Framework for Membership Growth Team Action Plan
October 21-22, 2011
Diocesan Convention. Expect wide discussion of church growth program and be prepared to offer progress report. Consider town hall meeting to allow convention delegates to hear our progress report and discuss issues.
Saturday November 12, 2011
St. Alban’s Brentwood, 500 Second Street, Brentwood, CA 94513
- Shaping the Parish: Developing a Healthier, More Faithful Church, The Rev. Aris Rivera
- Roundtable Discussion: Congregation Growth in East Contra Costa County
- Outlining the draft report of the Membership Growth team- Final drafts to be posted in advance and discussed and accepted at Dec meeting.
Saturday December 10th – Holy Innocents Episcopal Church, San Francisco
Workshop #4: Church2Go!
- Adapting social networking and other new technology to the growth needs of the church.
- Review draft report of Membership Growth team.
- Review next steps for implementation phase after church growth program approval.
- Celebrate our joy at this new beginning for the Diocese of California