Membership Growth Team Workshop #1
September 17, 2011 – St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, San Rafael
ALL ARE WELCOME! This will be the first meeting of this action planning task force. The workshop is designed to frame the issues of declining church attendance and membership and identify opportunities to use the changing regional demographics to renew church participation and membership and reach out to the unchurched and underserved.
9:00am Welcome by The Rev Christopher Martin, Rector, St. Paul’s
Introductions around the room
9:15am What is the Church Growth Program? Gary Hunt
- Setting the Stage for Change Presentation: Why are we doing this?
- Three Action Planning Teams: Membership Growth, Revenue Growth, DioCal Ops
- Membership Growth Action Planning Process:
- Focus attention on the need for growth and renewal
- Gather Ideas that work from Congregations
- Reinforce our spiritual foundation for church growth
9:20am The Restoration Project (Rev. Christopher Martin)
“A decade long effort to develop a structure that reframes and reworks ancient spiritual wisdom for today’s disciples. The Restoration Project provides a loving structure for the restoration through Jesus, of the image of God in us.”
10:00am Engaging the Faithful in our Church Growth Journey (Julia McCray-Goldsmith)
Encouraging public narrative on ways to offer “testimony” (Episcopal-style) as to why church matters to us and why others would wan to join. Its based in personal story but also includes a very direct “ask,” (to join in, give, commit) which is something we generally don’t do well.
10:20am Roundtable: Framing the Issues of Decline, Renewal and Sustainable Growth
- What is the growth problem with the Episcopal church? Are we alone in this? Why is this happening?
- How is our DioCal community changing? Census 2010: Living into our new demographic realities
- Identifying implications of these changes and options for the future
- BREAK OUT #1: ‘Walking the Talk’ of Mission Effectiveness and the issues of Struggling Congregations
- BREAK OUT #2: Creating a ‘Congregations Up’ Support System for Church Vitality and Growth
- Thinking about Big Hairy Bold and Audacious goals and ideas for growth!
Noon-1:00pm LUNCH on our own in downtown San Rafael
1:00pm New Ideas and Ideas that Work
- Celebrate what is working! Gather ideas at work today across the congregations.
- Encourage collaboration to meet shared needs through area ministry programs
- New ideas to close the gaps in unmet congregation needs to encourage growth
- Strategies to help struggling congregations make the transition?
- Strategies to target DioCal resources to congregations for growth initiatives?
- New technologies to create strong Episcopal social network across DioCal?
- October 15th St Clare’s, Pleasanton
- November 12th St Alban’s, Brentwood
- December 10th or 17th TBD
Church Growth Lab Experiments Exploring New Ways to do Church
- OCTOBER: Three Saints Collaboration: St Bartholomew, St. Clare, St. Timothy collaboration to growth the church by serving the Dougherty Valley. Exploring ideas to create shared mission and ministry programs.
- NOVEMBER: East Contra County: How does the Episcopal Church respond to the explosive growth, changing demographics, negative impacts of recession and the resource constrained capacity of small congregations (St. Albans-Brentwood, St. George’s Antioch, St. Michael and All Angels Concord) to meet the needs of the faithful.
- DECEMBER: Church2Go: Growth Models for Beloved Community. Engaging the faithful in doing the work of the church in our diverse, rapidly changing, multicultural communities requires new ways to ‘do church’, new technologies to connect our social network, new ways to reach out and welcome the unchurched, under-served and expand our membership base.