Membership Growth Team Workshop #1
September 17, 2011
ALL ARE WELCOME! This is the first of four monthly meetings of the Membership Growth Team. Our fast paced action planning process is designed to frame the attendance and membership growth issues, gather ideas that work from across the congregations, and explore new ideas for church growth.
Welcome by The Rev Christopher Martin, Rector, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, San Rafael, California
Introductions around the room
What is the Church Growth Program? (Gary Hunt)
• Setting the Stage for Change Presentation
• Three Action Planning Teams: Membership Growth, Revenue Growth, DioCal Ops
• Membership Growth Action Planning Process:
- Focus attention on the need for growth and renewal
- Gather Ideas that work from Congregations
- Provide a spiritual foundation for church growth
Framing the Issues of Growth and Decline
- BREAKOUT #1: Census 2010: Living into our new demographic realities?
- BRAINSTORM: Identifying ideas and options for getting back to growth
- BREAK OUT #2: Creating a Safety Net and Transitions for Struggling Congregations
- BREAK OUT #3: Defining the needs of Congregations to Get Growing Again
- BREAK OUT #4: Big Hairy Bold and Audacious goals and ideas for growth!
LUNCH on our own downtown San Rafael
Reporting Back to Frame the Issues
- Options for Getting Back to Growth and Implications from Census 2010
- How do we help struggling congregations make the transition?
- How do we shift DioCal resources to congregations for growth initiatives?
- Big Hairy Bold Audacious Goals?
October 15th St Clare’s, Pleasanton
Three Saints Collaboration: St Bartholomew, St. Clare, St. Timothy collaboration to growth the church by serving the Dougherty Valley.
November 12th St Alban’s, Brentwood
East Contra County: How does the Episcopal Church respond to the explosive growth, changing demographics, negative impacts of recession and the resource constrained capacity of small congregations (St. Albans-Brentwood, St. George’s Antioch, St. Michael and All Angels Concord, St. John’s Clayton) to meet the needs of the faithful.
December 10th or 17th TBD
Church2Go: Growth Models for Beloved Community. How does the church address the social and other ministry needs of diverse, widely distributed, multicultural communities in changing regional demographics. Imagining new ways to do area ministry in a collaborative, multilocational way.
- The Restoration Project (ask The Rev Christopher Martin for more info)
- 20+1+1: Pray, Worship, Serve
- Church Decline or Growth: Pick One! (churchgrowthprogram.com)
- Episcopal Realities: Getting Back to Growth (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Writing About Church Growth & Decline (diocalparishgrowth.com)
- Census 2010 clues for Growing the Church (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- CHURCH2GO: Connecting the Body of Christ in an Episcopal Social Network (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Barriers to Church Growth. #3 (therecoveringlegalist.com)
- Lessons of Church Decline and Renewal (discernablefutures.wordpress.com)
- Introducing our new Church Growth Program (churchgrowthprogram.com)
- Barriers to Church Growth. #2 (therecoveringlegalist.com)
- A Church That Wants to Teach Science (blogs.discovermagazine.com)